November has leaped upon us, bringing with it the first taste of the festive season surrounded by all its delight. This year has flown past us faster than a toupee in a hurricane!
It’s months like these where we begin looking back on the year that is coming to a close and begin collecting special moments that stuck with us throughout the year. I’d like to share with you, a few of my favourite moments from this year. Hello Shongololo turned 1 in October! What a rewarding moment and humbling milestone for us to reach. To add to the excitement in October, my son celebrated his 4th birthday (note, we were forced to celebrate for the entire month of October and not just on his birthday resulting in all diets going out the window.
Further to that, our ‘5 days of birthday giveaways’ was a massive success and so much fun to be a part of. A heart felt thank you to our generous sponsors: Readers Warehouse, Faithful to Nature, Sugar Apple, The Purply Lovey, The Stylishi Mama, Macaron. You have partnered with us on this initiative and made our celebrations a little more merrier. If you followed the competitions you may realise that Mums are the stricter of the 2 parents. Congratulations to all of our winners, we hope that you are enjoying your prizes and getting to share in the fun with your little ones.
With the silly season drawing close, some of us may be travelling with our kids. This oftentimes feels stressful and laborious; which is completely normal but actually not very necessary, if planned for with foresight. I’ve put together a few pointers which has helped me during our travels with my son and will hopefully make your travel a little less stressful and a lot more fun!
- Take familiar foods, especially on flights to make sure your child does eat something. Also, be sure to take some ‘sucking’ sweets for take-off and landing to prevent ears being uncomfortable and blocked!
- If you’re driving, make sure you take regular stops for leg stretches and fresh air. Many of the garages have play areas and space for the kids have some fun and take a break.
- A personalised photo album with your little one’s favourite thing is always a winner. Print pictures of their school, friends, pets, family, birthdays… They love looking at it and talking about it.
- Consider letting loose on ‘screen-time’ rules. Load your iPad games and kid friendly apps. This will keep them busy for a while and can give you a little down time too.
- Stickers are the secret weapon; all kids love stickers. Take stickers as well as accessories for them to decorate. For example, decorating a cup or even a card for granny may be a wonderful distraction for them
- Different activities and surprises are wonderful too. We have created our Hello Shongololo travel kit in mind of kids travelling on long journeys. They consist of a variety of different activities, they’re easy to use and friendly to play when in moving vehicles or in flight. They can be ordered from www.helloshongololo.co.za
- The magical musical production of Shrek will be showcased at the People’s Theatre, the musical. It is currently showing now until through to the 24th December 2017.11.07. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to book or visit www.webtickets.co.za.
- The Killarney Country Club is hosting a movie evening on 25th November 2017. For R100, kids get to watch the animation of Moana, receive two mini pizzas, a popcorn and small soft drink. To book call 011 442 7411 or mail email@example.com.
- And for our entertainment, Black Friday is coming soon. Keep a look out on social media for the Hello Shongololo specials.
Shongololo on Safari, our most popular activity box is back in stock. They make a wonderful Christmas present, so do keep them in mind.
We have updated our kids travel kits. The kits include loads of fun activities to keep the little ones busy on a road trip or flight. The kits are significantly different to the first iteration, and I’m proud to say that my 4 year old niece has given me the thumbs up!